A fresh, cool cucumber salad recipe made healthier by replacing sour cream with yogurt. This Polish favorite is a great way to use up those extra garden cucumbers you have been gifted and a perfect accompaniment to spicy dishes and BBQ. Onions, herbs and lemon juice makes this salad recipe a refreshing snack or perfect side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sometimes you just need some back-pocket recipes for cucumbers. Whether you grow your own cucumbers and need to come up with creative ideas on how to eat them or you are gifted a bushel over the backyard fence.
This cucumber recipe is easy to remember and easy to make, I’m looking at you Bianca. It is also known as a ‘cooling salad’ or a salad that is used to compliment a spicy dish, especially if it’s a fiery one. Thai Cucumber Salad is famous for this. These cooling salads can also be used as a palate cleanser. Something that gets you ready for the next spicy dish.
Another reason to make this salad is that cucumbers a really good for you. Scroll to the bottom for some tips and info on amazing benefits of cucumber.
What is Polish Cucumber Salad?
Polish Cucumber Salad is a quick, no fuss dish, traditionally made with dill, sour cream and fresh herbs, usually dill. Frequently salt, sugar and an acid is added. It is also known as Mizeria, the Polish name for misery.
The story of Mizeria is a legend of Queen Bon Sforza, an Italian princess that was betrothed to King Sigismund I of Poland in the 16th century. It is believed the homesick Italian Queen would cry whenever she ate cucumbers as it reminded her of her homeland where cucumbers were plenty.
How do you make Cucumber Salad?
This easy recipe for Mizeria can be broken down into three steps.
- Extract the water from the cucumber – This can be achieved through salting and either blotting or wrapping the cucumber slices in a dish towel and squeeze the water out.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add the cucumbers to the dressing and toss.
Tips for a better Polish Cucumber Salad
Choose smaller cucumbers, they are sweeter. Also
choose cucumbers that are seedless or have very
small seeds such as a hothouse cucumber. Use only a
touch of acid such as lemon juice or vinegar. Make
with yogurt instead of sour cream for a healthier version.
Ideas for serving.
Cucumber salad goes great with:
- Biriyani rice
- Texas BBQ
- So…basically anything, but especially spicy food.
Other Cucumber Salads From Around the World
- German – With chopped or sliced cucumbers add onion, tomatoes, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, herbs and sugar.
- Japanese – A simple salad with cucumber, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame seeds.
- Thai – A popular cooling salad using cucumbers mixed with rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, green onions and sprinkled with chopped peanuts.
- Mediterranean – Cucumber, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Hungarian – Also known as Uborkasaláta, very similar to Polish cucumber salad except they add paprika, of course!
Benefits of Cucumbers
- Huffington Poste has this article on 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Cucumbers. Have you ever heard of fisetin? Me neither. Apparently it may protect your brain from neurological diseases.
- Live Strong shares Health Benefit of Eating Cucumbers and breaks down the nutritional information.
- Blend up cucumber and plain yogurt and apply to face. Leave on 15 minutes before washing off. Cucumbers contain Vitamin C and caffeic acid, two antioxidants which help fend off wrinkles. Paired with the exfoliating properties of yogurt and you have yourself a cheap, natural do-it-yourself facial mask.
Do you have any favorite cucumber recipes? Please share in the comments below, just in case our neighbors decide to plant 10 cucumber plants this year. Yikes!
If you do make this salad, snap a pic and post on Instagram with #FusionCraftiness so we can see. Let’s make this a good ole cucumber salad virtual par-tay…