A creamy, light soup with roasted vegetables, tahini and Za’atar. This soup is great with grilled cheese. Tasty, easy, healthy and vegetarian!
Why roasted vegetables?
Three reasons. Roasting vegetables brings out their flavor and gives them a slightly smoky taste. Second, they are healthier than frying. Lastly, this is a great way to clean out your leftover vegetables. I used sweet potato, yellow onion, red onion, sweet peppers and garlic.
Why tahini and za’atar?
I was in a Mediterranean type of mood, it happens a lot when you write about World inspired cuisine. I also have leftover tahini in my fridge and a big jar of za’atar. I actually made this soup recipe entirely out of leftovers, I did not have to go to the store. I have been doing that a lot lately and it really helps to not waste food. I will scour my cookbook collection and search by ingredient items such as sweet potato and go from there. I have a lot of sweet potatoes I need to use up. Do you have any suggestions? Leave a comment for favor:)
This is a super easy recipe, great for using up leftovers.
There are 3 basic steps to this recipe:
- Tossing veggies with oil and herbs, then roasting them.
- Blending the roasted veggies and remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- Cook over stove until hot and bubbly.
Remember this when making this very forgivable soup,
“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.” – Julia Child
I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did. As you can see, you can get really creative with this 3 step soup recipe. Let me know how yours turned out and if you made any changes. I am always curious to culinary creativity, it’s fun!
Roasted veggies with olive oil, za'atar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic. Made into an easy soup with broth, tahini, lemon juice. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches.
- 6 cups of chopped vegetables
- 1 Tbs za'atar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cups broth of your choice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- Optional Garnishes: feta and cilantro
- Optional Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: Swiss or provolone on sourdough or rye.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- Line roasting pan or sheet pan with foil and add veggies, bake at 400F 30 minutes.
- Remove veggies and cool until no longer steaming.
- In a food processor or blender, place veggies, tahini, lemon juice, paprika and some of the broth, mix until well blended. May need to work in batches.
- Pour blender contents into medium sauce pan, add the rest of broth.
- Cook soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly and thick.
- Serve with optional garnishes to make pretty.
- Serve with optional grilled cheese (highly recommended!)