Todays French pastry is the Beignet, with bananas, also known as banana fritter. This is another amazing pastry made from Choux Pastry dough. For the step-by-step tutorial on how to make Choux Pastry click here.
If you would have told me a year ago I would be making French pastries, I would have thought you were feverish and delusional. I didn’t think I could do it or that I would enjoy doing it, but here I am, doing & enjoying. This could be the impetus for you to try and learn that new thing you didn’t think you would have time for or be successful at;)
So this Bastille Day, or any day, whip up some Beignets for your besties!
What is a Beignet?
A beignet is a deep fried fritter made from Choux Pastry. It is considered a French or New Orleans donut. The pastry is unusually pillowy and soft, it kind of plays on the tongue and tastes spectacular. Usually it is served with powdered sugar and in the case of New Orleans, served with coffee that has chicory in it or café au lait.
Beignet is a French term and made its way to Louisiana via french colonists in the 18th century. A little comfort from the Mother country for the homesick French. A common variation is made with bananas or plantains.
Ready? Let’s DO this!
This recipe is adapted from my latest favorite French cookbook and guide, French Classics Made Easy by Richard Grausman.
Todays French pastry is the Beignet, with bananas, also known as banana fritter. This is another amazing pastry made from Choux Pastry dough.
1 recipe of Choux Pastry
1 banana, chopped
1 Tbs white sugar
1 Tbs rum (optional)
Oil for frying
1 cup powdered sugar
- Place banana, rum and sugar in a bowl, mix and set aside.
- Make your Choux Pastry dough according to directions.
- Mix Choux Pastry and banana together until well incorporated.
- In a dutch oven or deep fryer, heat 2 inches or more of oil to 365F. Drop in a heaping Tbs of choux pastry into oil, repeat but don’t crowd the pastries. Cook until medium brown.
- Remove pastries with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.