Baharat is the Arabic word for spices and this term is commonly used to denote a spice blend. This typical Lebanese-style spice blend includes the warm spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, coriander, cloves and ginger plus a hefty dose of black pepper for kick. Use on any meats or mix into condiments, use in soups, beans etc. Mix up a batch and keep in your larder for some quick, no -brainer seasoning.
I have used Baharat in a Lebanese meat pie recipe called Beef Fatayer and it was fabulous. It would also go great in a crockpot with a roast or with some ground beef for a Middle Eastern burrito type of situation.
Have you tried Middle Eastern food before? It is really easy to prepare without special skills required, in fact it’s my latest favorite cuisine.
More Middle Eastern Recipes:
- Spinach Fatayer – A traditional Lebanese turnover with herbs and ricotta.
- Middle Eastern Kofta – Little, spicy meatloaves.
- Chicken Shawarma – A garlicky chicken wrap.
- Toum Sauce – A lebanese garlicky sauce for shawarmas, sandwiches and wraps.
- Muhammara Dip – A robust red pepper dip you can make in 5 minutes.
- Cilbur – A Turkish egg recipe.
- Aleppo Lamb and Potatoes – A great way to fry up some tasty lamb chops.
- Mana’eesh – A Middle Eastern flatbread.
- Moroccan Harira Soup – This wonderful soup will nourish your body and your spirit, a traditional Moroccan soup.
- Beef Fatayer – A Middle Eastern meat pie.
- Cheese Fatayer – A cheese filled turnover with cilantro, parsley and onion.
A warm blend of spices commonly used in the Middle East.
- 1/4 cup finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ground allspice
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbs grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbs ground coriander
- 1 Tbs ground cloves
- 1 Tbs ground Ginger
- Mix all ingredients and keep in a mason jar or other air tight container. Keep in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle on lamb, beef, chicken, fish or use in soups or condiments.
- Serving Size: 1/4 tsp
- Calories: 4
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg