This savory pancake is a great snack, appetizer or side dish. It’s a great use of extra veggies. Served with an Asian dipping sauce. Yum!
Hot off the griddle, that’s how I like them. Jeon, or Korean Pancakes, are made of a filling, usually vegetables, and a thin Korean pancake batter made with flour, water and egg.
It is seasoned however you like and it’s great with left over veggies or too many veggies from your garden. A savory dish, it is well suited as an appetizer, snack or a side dish to your main entree. A delicious Asian sauce completes this dish with soy, sesame, vinegar and onions.
This recipe is inspired by all of Maangchi’s pancake recipes. Her YouTube channel is a great and entertaining resource if you are just learning to cook Korean food. I have had so much success with this easy dish that it is now my go-to recipe when I need to burn up some veggies.
Very versatile, other ingredients you can use include potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, scallions, chives, cabbage, carrots, kimchi, fish, shrimp, tuna, only limited to your imagination. The sauce can be made hot with the addition of chiles or red pepper flakes such as gochugaru or gochujang.
If you make this, post to Instagram and let us see #FusionCraftiness.
- Pancake Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups squash or zucchini, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups scallions
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gochugaru or cayenne
- 1-2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs light soy sauce
- 1Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- Prep veggies.
- In a medium bowl add flour and whisk in water, egg, salt and gochugaru until there are no lumps.
- Add vegetables, mix well.
- Heat oil in large skillet until shimmering over med-high heat.
- Ladle 1/4 of the vegetables at a time into pan, pressing down and pushing veggies out to form a circle. Repeat for the other 3 pancakes.
- Cook until medium, golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with sauce.
- Sauce: Mix last 3 ingredients in small bowl, drizzle on top of pancakes.