Spicy Fried Cabbage and Onions is a simple but flavor-packed Asian-inspired fried cabbage recipe. Bacon fat, onions, garlic and Gochujang round out the flavors and heat in this perfect side dish dinner solution. Easy and fast to make, a weeknight dinner solution.
As an Amazon Associate and an affiliate of other programs, this website earns from qualifying purchases.
My favorite way to make a delicious cabbage recipe is to use bacon fat, garlic, onions and a little something extra like Maple syrup or Gochujang Korean chili paste. This makes for a nice surprise on that first bite. If you don’t have bacon, smoked paprika would work nicely in order to add a little smoky flavor. You can cook this along side some pork chops or sausage like bratwurst, andouille or kielbasa for an easy weeknight dinner solution.
Regional Variations of Fried Cabbage Recipes
Where ever you can find cabbage grown, you can find fried cabbage dishes. Frying fresh cabbage is simple and requires no special cooking skills or equipment. The flavors are regional’s in nature and distinctive. Feel free to experiment with different aromatics and spices. Cabbage is really a blank canvas. Use the flavor profiles below for inspiration.
- SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE – collard greens, bacon grease, slices of bacon, red pepper flakes, onions, salt & black pepper.
- GUJARATI FRIED CABBAGE – green cabbage, asafetida, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, tomatoes, green pepper or any variety of chili pepper, cilantro, lime juice, salt & sugar.
- RUSSIAN FRIED CABBAGE – green or red cabbage, pork, onions, carrots, sour cream, catsup, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt & olive oil.
- IRISH FRIED CABBAGE WITH POTATOES – also known as Irish Colcannon, cabbage, potatoes, butter, green onions, sour cream.
- ASIAN-STYLE FRIED CABBAGE – Napa cabbage or Bok Choi, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, green onion, cilantro, sesame seeds, sugar.
Optional Seasoning & Flavor Enhancers
- Creole or Cajun seasoning blend
- Apple cider vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
- Sichuan peppercorns
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Vegan bacon, turkey bacon
- White, red or yellow onions
- Hot sauce or chili paste
- Ground turkey, beef, chicken or pork
- Corned beef
Types of Cabbage
- Collard greens
- Bok Choi
- Napa cabbage
- Green or purple cabbage
- Olive oil
- Neutral oil like grape seed or sunflower
- Bacon fat
How to Make This Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below! Take a picture and tag us @FusionCraftiness #FusionCraftiness on Instagram for a chance to be featured in our Insta Stories:)
Do you have a favorite recipe for cabbage? Do you have a favorite childhood memory of your Grandmother cooking in the kitchen? Leave a comment, I learn so much from you all!
Cabbage is high in vitamins C & K and moderately high in folate and B6