An authentic homemade Honduran tortilla recipe made easy in a food processor. This thicker version of the classic tortilla is perfect for all of your Central American cooking including Baleadas.
How to make tortillas step-by-step.
More Latin American Recipes
- Authentic Honduran Baleadas
- 20 Minute Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Chicken Flautas
- 2 Ingredient Chicken Taco Meat
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Creamy Jalapeno and Avocado Salsa
- Chimichurri Rojo
- Pebre Sauce
Make flour tortillas easily in a food processor. Add the dry ingredients, drizzle in the wet ingredients. It’s that easy. Make tortillas for Honduran Baleadas, Mexican tacos or flatbread.
- 3 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 cups of flour and the other dry ingredients. Pulse a few times to mix the ingredients well.
- In a measuring cup, add the water, then the oil.
- While the processor is running, slowly add the wet ingredients. Process for a minute then slowly add the flour one heaping Tbs at a time until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the food processor. Remove the dough and turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, form into a ball and rub a thin layer of oil all over it. Wrap in plastic or cover with a damp dish cloth, let rest for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a rope and cut eight even sections. Roll each piece into a ball with oiled hands.
- If you have a tortilla press and you are making thin tortillas then between two pieces of heavy plastic (I use a gallon sized freezer bag cut into two squares) place your oiled ball of dough and press. Set aside. Repeat until all are pressed.
- If you are rolling out your dough into a thicker tortilla, place the oiled dough on a floured surface and roll out until the size is about 8 inches. Stack with a little flour in between each layer.
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat and place a tortilla to cook until bubbly, then flip. It takes about 2 minutes to cook each tortilla.
- Store in a plastic bag overnight or in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on a griddle.
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg