Chana Chaat, a Chickpea & Cucumber Salad where contrast is key. This Chana Chaat inspired recipe is turned into a robust and fresh salad with English cucumbers, chickpeas and fresh herbs kissed with a curry, brown sugar and lime juice vinaigrette. Make this for dinner tonight!
- 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup of red onion, diced finely
- 1 English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup fresh herbs, I used cilantro and watercress
- 1/2 cup chives, sliced small (may use more red onion instead)
- 3–4 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
Optional Garnish – any of the 3 below or skip all together
- Raw ramen noodles, crushed
- Fried wonton strips
- Fried noodles
- Mix first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the next four ingredients.
- In a small pan, heat oil and curry powder over low-medium heat until the spices have warmed or ‘bloomed’ but do not cook long or it will burn.
- Scrape curry spice into the small mixing bowl and stir until curry powder has dissolved.
- Pour over the salad in large mixing bowl and toss.
- Garnish if desired with crunchy toppings.
- For a creamy version, add 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Add tuna for a tuna salad and serve over spinach or other greens.
- Serve with chutney and Naan.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 526 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg