These crispy baked zucchini fries are elevated to another level with the addition of Indian spices and served with a spicy Curry Fry Sauce. If you like Indian pakora you will LOVE these baked curry zucchini fries! Plus ideas for zucchini recipes below.
I am always on the lookout for great zucchini recipes. If you have ever grown a zucchini plant in your garden then you know why.
The first year I grew zucchini, I planted two, at first. They were doing so well and luscious I planted two more. You may stop laughing now.
You can guess what happened next. Zucchini apocalypse. Not as cute as apricot apocalypse but very impressive. I needed zucchini recipes STAT!
Now that Spring is here I am indeed on the search for more zucchini recipes. I might plant one zucchini plant this year.
I adapted this recipe from my Indian Zucchini Pakora recipe. Check it out if you don’t know what Pakora is. Your tastebuds will thank you.
This zucchini recipe is simple. Cut the zucchini into fry shapes, coat, dip and dredge. Place on a rack on a baking sheet and bake. It only takes 20 minutes to bake zucchini fries. An easy, healthy zucchini recipe that is vegetarian and low carb. Simple.
I like to eat these with Curry Fry Sauce.
Zucchini Recipe Ideas
- Toss sliced zucchini into 1/4 inch slices, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Broil until golden brown, flip over and cook some more. Serve these by themselves or with a creamy ranch sauce.
- Shred zucchini and add them to baked goods such as brownies and quick breads. they add moisture and you can’t tell that there are zucchinis in there.
- Use a mandolin and slice the zucchini very thin, lightly salt, blot with paper towels, spray with cooking spray and bake on a rack in the oven to make zucchini chips.
- Make zucchini tots by mixing grated zucchini, egg, onion, cheese and breadcrumbs. Pour into a greased muffin tin and bake at 375 until cooked through.
- Use a julienne peeler to make zucchini noodles. Toss with your favorite marinara or alfredo sauce for a low carb Italian dinner.
- Make zucchini nachos by slicing, tossing with oil and salt and broiling until golden brown, turn over, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and cook the other side. Top with sour cream, salsa, black beans and cilantro.
- Make lasagna but instead of wide ribbon pasta, use zucchini that has been sliced lengthwise.
- Bake sliced zucchini until golden brown, then cover with marinara sauce and mozzarella, parmesan and basil.
- Bread, deep fry and serve with sour cream.
- Add to stew.
Do you have any favorite zucchini recipes? Please share! All of us with more than one zucchini plant needs to know, soon, very soon.Print
These crispy baked zucchini fries are elevated to another level with the addition of Indian spices and served with a spicy Curry Fry Sauce. If you like Indian pakora you will LOVE these baked curry zucchini fries!
- 4 medium sized zucchini
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tbs garam masala
- 1 Tbs turmeric
- a pinch of asafetida (may omit if you don’t have any)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 recipe of Curry Fry Sauce (Optional) or Marinara Sauce.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Trim off stem and cut zucchini crosswise. Next cut each half into half lengthwise. Then cut each piece into thirds. The goal is about 3 inch long fries about 1/4 inch in thickness. Set aside.
- Next mix next nine ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Place flour in a shallow dish to make it easier for dredging.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl and beat with a fork until well blended.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a cooling rack on top and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Now assemble your fries and place them on the baking sheet as follows: Coat each fry with flour, dip in egg then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, set on cooling rack. Repeat until all is done.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until fries are golden brown and crispy.
- Optional – Serve with Curry Fry Sauce or Marinara Sauce.
- You can make this vegan by dipping the zucchini in soy milk and then straight into the breadcrumbs.
- You can make this even healthier by not serving with catsup instead of fry sauce.
- Have fun and experiment with different flavor combinations.
- Asafetida is a pungent Indian spice that actually means putrid. There really isn’t a replacement so if you don’t have any, simply skip it.
- Serving Size: 4 fries
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Sodium: 264 mg
- Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1 gram
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 12 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 4 grams
- Cholesterol: 62 mg
Nutritional benefits of zucchini:
- Because of the high water content, zucchini is low calorie and has no fat or cholesterol.
- One medium zucchini has 7 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein.
- It is rich in vitamins especially Vitamins C, K, B and folate.
- High in minerals, especially potassium and manganese.