An easy and tasty sweet potato french fry hack with the addition of kimchi, curry fry sauce, sweet bell peppers, cilantro, green onions and cotija cheese.
What are street cart fries?
Street cart fries are bowls of french fries smothered in deliciousness and awesomeness. They remind my of scattered, smothered and covered potatoes you will find at any greasy spoon in the South. I first came across these when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. I fell in love with these amazing potatoes instantly!
The concept has caught on and now you can find them at food trucks, real foodie street carts and trendy restaurants. The variations run the gamut from Southern-inspired to Thai, Korean, Mexican, BBQ etc. It’s an easy way to play with your food at home by the way. If you are entertaining you can have a french fry bar and lay out all the fixings.
This version is inspired by Chilantros Pork Kimchi Fries from Austin, Texas. They started out with food trucks and now they have brick and mortar restaurants. It’s a must if you visit Austin, I assure you! Read up on our culinary adventures in Austin, Waco and Dallas here.
This time, I used sweet potatoes because I still have some left from a big bag I bought. I bought them to challenge me to learn different ways to use sweet potatoes. They are healthy (usually), and I wanted to push my culinary imagination. I whipped up a fast Curry Fry Sauce to add the perfect finishing sauce. Kimchi and cheese are added too, just because. The garnishes are optional but I like my food to be colorful. I garnished with sweet potatoes, cilantro, parsley, scallions and cotija cheese.
If you make up your own version, let us know by leaving a comment. I am anxious to see what you come up with!
A spicy, healthy (mostly) street car fries recipe with curry fry sauce! Made with sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil and paprika, served with kimchi, sweet peppers and garnished with cilantro and scallions.
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- olive oil to drizzle
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- Curry Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup of chopped sweet peppers
- green onions
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium bowl mix sweet potato, olive oil, salt & pepper and paprika.
- Lay out potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet, bake for 15 minutes on middle rack, turn potatoes over and cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve fries in medium bowls, add cheese, kimchi, curry fry sauce and garnish as desired.
- Serve with a fork and enjoy!
- Note: If the heat from the fries doesn't melt the cheese, simply microwave 15-30 seconds.