A smooth, garlicky, tasty Hummus recipe perfected with smoked paprika. A great recipe for beginners as well as anybody that wants a good, simple, solid Hummus recipe.
There is nothing like a smooth, thick, garlicky, full bodied Hummus to make your day. This simple and easy Hummus recipe is the best Hummus I have ever made. In about 5 minutes you will learn how to make Hummus. Just nine ingredients and a blender or food processor is all you will need. Whatcha waiting for?
There are two common themes to Hummus advice out there. One is find a great quality tahini and the other is take the time to peel the chickpeas. For quality tahini I will choose one that is not near their ‘best by’ date and the more expensive brand. I believe you usually get what you pay for and if good quality tahini is key, then think higher price.
I used canned chickpeas for convenience and the simple fact that I can’t really tell the difference between canned and cooking dried chickpeas. I did loosen the skins with a whisk after pouring chickpeas in a bowl. This helps in the next step which takes between 5-10 minutes.
Grab a chickpea with your thumb and forefinger and pinch the skin off with the thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand. The skins come off easily.
Next pour all ingredients except parsley in a food processor or blender. I used a high speed blender which works great for this, I didn’t need to scrape down the sides.
Blend until smooth, adding either water or liquid from the can of chickpeas until you get the consistency that you desire. garnish for color and serve with pita chips, my favorite! I also use this as a sandwich condiment and a dip for raw veggies.
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- juice from one lemon
- water or liquid from chickpea can
- parsley for garnish
- smoked paprika for garnish
- Pour chickpeas into bowl and whisk vigorously to loosen skins.
- Peel the skins off the chickpeas as described above. Drain chickpeas, reserving one cup of liquid.
- Place chickpeas and next 6 ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until a smooth consistency is developed.
- Slowly add liquid or water until desired consistency is reached, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Garnish and serve with veggies or pita chips.