Celebrate the day of La Saint-Valentin with a buttery treat for your love. The French Clafoutis transforms into 30 miniature heart valentines to share with your friends and friend. I hope you have as much fun making these as I have! Enjoy!
Valentine’s Day is no stranger to France. It’s Paris’s patron saint and there is even a village named La Saint-Valentin. It is thought to have started as a celebration of love as demonstrated in nature with animals pairing off in the middle of February starting their little families. Sounds good to me. A French Clafoutis adaptation is a nice way to celebrate this international holiday. We will start off with an easy batter with just a few ingredients and chop some cherries. Assembly is a snap and cooks in just 30 minutes.
The food processor is your friend with this and most batters, no lumps:) You can also use it to easily chop your frozen, pitted cherries.
We will us an old trick for making heart-shaped desserts by using pie weights if you have them or glass marbles.
You may sprinkle red colored sugar crystals before baking to give some extra valentine color.
Everything is better with a sprinkling of powdered sugar:)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 12 oz bag of frozen, dark, sweet cherries, partially thawed
- 30 cupcake liners
- 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Optional: Red sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a food processor mix flour, salt and sugar.
- Add all of the butter then add the eggs one at a time.
- Add 1 cup of milk, don't over mix, this should all take less than 1 minute.
- Pour batter into a pitcher for easier pouring.
- Chop the cherries into small pieces, you can use your food processor if you feel like cleaning the chamber:) Pulse a few times, set aside.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners and scoop 1 tsp cherries into each cup.
- Pour batter into cup only filling between 1/2-2/3 full, otherwise the heart shape will be obliterated.
- If desired, sprinkle hefty dose of red sugar crystals for coloring.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.