I LOVE Apple Strudel! You pretty much have to fly over to Germany or Austria to eat an authentic one, that could take a long time. DON’T PANIC! I give you an amazingly easy alternative, Everyday Apple Strudel Bites.
‘Necessity is the mother of invention’- English proverb, author unknown although Plato quoted it in Republic. I NEED Apple Strudel!! Therefore, I will invent the everyday version, to hold me over, until I can get myself to Austria. When you read cookbooks like novels, you get moments of extreme clarity when trying to solve culinary dilemmas. I was craving the strudel when I came across a wonton recipe. It seems so clear, and easy. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of this. I’m sure there are other people in the same predicament with the same epiphany, of course great minds think alike. American Apple Pie filling plus Asian wonton wrappers equals German Apple Strudel bites, of course!!
Cook filling in pan over low-medium heat until thick and bubbly. This allows the juices from the apples to thicken with the added flour. The Austrians use bread crumbs for this.
Place in a wonton wrapper and you’re almost home free.
The traditional fold is pretty. Just fold the square wonton wrapper into a triangle by bringing two corners together, wet the edges with water, start folding and pinching.
The quad folding technique is quite striking too. Bring two corners together, wet, pinch, then the third side, pinch-pinch-pinch, then the fourth side etc.
- 3 cups apples, diced
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 heaping Tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 package of wonton wrappers
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Simmer first 7 ingredients in small sauce pan over low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly, set aside.
- Place 1 Tbs of apple filling on wonton wrapper.
- Wet edges of wonton wrapper with water.
- Bring two corners of wonton wrappers together and pinch just as in the pic above.
- Finish sealing the edges of the wrapper until it is complete encased, place on cookie sheet.
- Brush melted butter on wrappers with pastry brush.
- Bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush more butter on wrappers and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- That's it!!