Peach Galette, an easy version of a French classic.
Peaches!! We are being smothered by this wonderful stone fruit, if that’s even possible. Between the peaches at the farm, our two peaches from our sapling and our friends peaches, we are set for the year.
The freezers are full of our Summer time windfall which includes our apricotpocolypse. Coming up with ways to enjoy such a big harvest is fun. Galettes came to mind since they are so easy to make and use up quite a bit of fruit. This one takes a basic pie dough recipe, peaches, sugar and butter. That’s it! It bakes up in about 30 minutes at 425F. Salsa is also a great way to use up fruit and possible gift it to friends. If you are into canning, Christmas gifts are done, in August!
Enjoy this wonderful recipe and share any ideas in the comments below. I have a lot more apricots and peaches to burn through and I need your ideas!
An easy classic, the peaches are perfect for an open faced pie.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups cold shortening or unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes
- 6-8 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- 4 cups of sliced peaches, skin on, pitted
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Sift flour and salt together in large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it appears the flour has a bunch of half-sized peas and all shortening is incorporated.
- Add vinegar to water and add liquid a little at a time, stirring with a big spoon or mixing with hands. When the dough comes together you are done with this step, wrap in plastic and chill in refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into a large circle. Using the rolling pin, transfer dough by wrapping dough around pin and placing on a large baking sheet.
- Mix peaches and granulated sugar in a bowl.
- Place peaches on dough leaving at least a two inch gap around the galette.
- Fold over and crimp edges as shown in the picture, you can be creative here.
- Place butter in the middle of the peaches and bake on middle rack in oven approximately 30 minutes, until peaches are bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly before serving, dust edges with powdered sugar.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, yum!